Call 999 for the Police if you think a child is in Immediate Danger
If you are worried about a child speak to the Multi Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH) on 01403 229900

Toggle Contrast

Making a Referral

Making a Child Protection referral to Children’s Social Care

Whether you work in the statutory, private, voluntary or independent sector in West Sussex and provide services for, or come into contact with, children and young people, you have an important role to play in keeping them safe. This includes volunteers who provide support and services to children.

If you are a professional worker with information or concerns about a child you should inform West Sussex County Council’s MASH during office hours on the numbers below.

Telephone: 01403 229900

Or email from a secure email address.


Request for support from MASH for a child
Request for support from MASH for an adult



EDT have been made aware that some external switchboards are cutting off calls before they connect when dialling the normal EDT number – 0330 222 6664 – you will hear one ring followed by an unobtainable tone. If you experience difficulty, having tried the 0330 number, please ring 07711 769657, this will connect you to the duty Social Worker. Please note that this mobile number cannot accept text messages.

When you contact the MASH they will take full details of the child and your concerns and will either:

  • Provide advice and information, or
  • Direct you to an appropriate team or organisation, or
  • Make a formal referral to the social care team

You should confirm your referral in writing within 24 hours.

If you have doubts about making a referral, please consult your agency manager or practitioner with responsibility for child protection. If this is not possible, please speak with MASH for further advice.

Good practice examples of referrals to MASH

To help professionals in completing quality referrals we have produced good practice examples:

Early Help support for a child

If you need support with an Early Help Plan, or want to link a family in to Early Help, contact your

Family Support Hub

Referring an Adult

If you are worried that an adult is being harmed, abused or neglected you can find more information about raising your concern by visiting the West Sussex Safeguarding Adults Board website

Request for support from MASH for an adult

Referring child to Brighton & Hove or East Sussex

Information on how to refer in other Sussex areas can be found on the front page of the Pan Sussex Child Protection Procedures site.