Child Abuse Linked to Faith or Belief
The National Action Plan includes the ideas below when referring to Child Abuse Linked to Faith or Belief:
“Belief” in the concept of:
– witchcraft and spirit possession, demons or the devil acting through children or leading them astray (traditionally seen in some Christian beliefs),
– the evil eye or djinns (traditionally known in some Islamic faith contexts) and
– dakini (in the Hindu context);
– ritual or muti murders where the killing of children is believed to bring supernatural benefits or the use of their body parts is believed to produce potent magical remedies;
– use of belief in magic or witchcraft to create fear in children to make them more compliant when they are being trafficked for domestic slavery or sexual exploitation.
The above list is not exhaustive and there may well other examples of where children and young people have been harmed when one or more adults believe their actions have brought bad fortune.
Read more about child abuse linked to faith or belief using the links below: